From a very early age, children start absorbing messages about how the world works. Certain expressions have become a common language that well-meaning parents and authority figures use to reinforce particular life principles. You have probably heard hundreds since the day you were born.
I wondered how some well-known proverbs and expressions could be modernised to reflect 21st Century thinking. Here are just a few that I came up with. I am sure you can think of more. Feel free to share your ideas in the comments section below. Let’s see how many myths we can bust!
- Money doesn’t grow on trees. It grows in your mind.
- If at first you don’t succeed, stop trying and ask for help.
- Your world does revolve around you. Everyone else’s world revolves around them!
- Children should be seen and their deepest fears listened to and acknowledged.
- A problem shared is a problem halved – but it will disappear completely when you focus on what you want instead.
- A leopard cannot change it’s spots – if you keep thinking it is a leopard.
- A woman’s work is never done – so you might as well stop, take a break and have some fun.
- A miss is as good as a mile – but the feedback will be more accurate
- Accidents will happen – if you keep thinking that way!
- Attack is the best form of defence – but only if you want to start a fight! Alignment is really the best form of defence.
- Don’t rock the boat – if the people in your boat don’t like it, switch boats.
- All’s fair in love and war – but whatever you put out will affect what comes back so why not make it love.
- All good things come to he who waits – but you can speed the manifestation up by aligning with what you want!
- Beauty isn’t skin deep — it comes from the depths of your soul.
- Don’t become attached to your chickens before they hatch but trust that it is all happening perfectly.
- Failing to plan is allowing for a multitude of possibilities to be revealed.
- Fight fire with a good dose of water.
- History repeats itself unless someone is willing to change the story.
- If anything can go wrong, it will — if you give it any attention
- I’ll see it when I believe it.
By Tiffany Kay
Tiffany Kay is a transformational coach, inspirational speaker and the creator of Living an Inspired Life. After flat-lining through the early part of her life, Tiffany faced a challenging and transformational time of awakening. Following her son’s open-heart surgery, she realised that life matters and made a deliberate and conscious decision to make her life a life that counted. Since then she has been inspiring others to discover the truth of who they are!
Tiffany runs a coaching programme called “Your Life Two” that helps women to turn crises and transitions into awakenings – to design and sculpt an inspired life and to find the happiness they truly deserve.
Tiffany is also the author of “JoyScope” – a book and blog offering daily inspirations to nourish the heart and soul.